In history, we are studying the Cold War, and now be began to study one of the most important events of this war: The Berlin Blockade. Our teacher Lenny Ambrosini, asked us to develop the following activity, here is the TASK.
THIS ARE SOME NOTES THAT I TOOK DURING CLASS
THIS IS A PRESENTATION WERE WE COMPLETED THE CHART ABOVE ALL TOGETHER IN CLASS
1. Life at Berlin was really difficult and harsh. After war they were devastated and the division of the zones made it even worse. There were two very different types of government leading one region, capitalism and communism, when they divide Berlin people were confused, scared an didn’t have any idea of what was going to happen or even what was happening on the other part of Berlin.
2. The main difference between East and West Berlin, was the type on government imposed but there were also other important differences. As for west Berlin, the capitalist zone, they wanted to recover Germany on the economic aspect only as when for East Berlin, the communist zone, they wanted to keep Germany cripple and isolate but the allies didn’t allowed that.
3. The allies introduced a new currency into West Berlin known as Bizonia, as a symbol for the capitalist union and help towards the German economic recovery. This was a problem for Stalin because from then onwards communism’s spread would stop.
4. The airlift was very important since it represented the growing power of the allies and also containment.
5. They were both to blame for the tension during the airlift since although they didn’t take actions and actually go to war, they still hated each other and both had very different aims as regards Germany. As for the communists, they wanted to keep Germany crippled so that she couldn’t recover and as for the allies they wanted the German’s economic recover. Moreover, Stalin blocked the routes that connected west and east Berlin as an attempt to force the allies out of Berlin, but he failed since they thought Stalin’s actions as a threat to the Western Berlin freedom.
6. Because after 10 months of supplies brought by plane, he came to the point of accepting that the allies won’t give up on West Berlin.
SOME VIDEOS TO UNDERSTAND BETTER THIS EVENT