In Biology we are studying the Respiratory System. Today we learnt about the gas exchange and we made a chart about it. This is my work:
For this last lending library term, i chose the book Pilgrims written by Elizabeth Gilbert. As for the terms before, i was asked to make a video called «Booktube» to make my analysis of the book.
This is my BOOKTUBE
In Biology we’ve been learning about cellular respiration. Here’s an activity Male left for Rochi, Nico and I to do:
1 – State the uses of energy in our body.
– Contracting muscles, so that we can move parts of the body
– Making protein molecules by linking together amino acids into long chains
– Cell division, so that we can repair damaged tissues and can grow
– Active transport, so that we can move substances across cell membranes up their concentration gradient
– Transmiting nerve impulses, so that we can transfer information quickly from one part of the body to another
– Producing heat inside the body, to keep the body temperature constant even if the environment is cold
2 – Construct a mind map about respiration. You may do it on a sheet of paper or use any of the tools available such as bubble.us
You should include:
b- Types: Aerobic and anaerobic (in muscles and yeast)
c- Equation in words
d- Amount of energy released
3 – Explain the meaning of “oxygen debt”
Anaerobic respiration produces an oxygen debt. This is the amount of oxygen needed to oxidise lactic acid to carbon dioxide and water. The existence of an oxygen debt explains why we continue to breathe deeply and quickly for a while after exercise.
4- Search in the internet a short video, which explains why the breathing rate does not return to normal immediately after vigorous exercise stops.
Hoy en computación comenzamos con un nuevo trabajo práctico en el cual tuvimos que elegir uno de los proyectos propuestos por nuestra profesora Mariana y realizar un mapa conceptual. Estas eran todas las propuestas:
The fun theory
Purificador de agua LifeStraw personal – soluciones pequeñas que generan grandes cambios
Yo elegí el proyecto «The Fun Theory» y este es mi mapa conceptual:
This term we started discussing the gothic novel. Now our teacher asked us to make a presentation on the main characteristics of this and to write an interview with one of the authors of the stories we read in class. [TASK]
This is my presentation:
This is my interview:
A: Good afternoon! It’s an honor to meet you
B: Well thank you for having me.
A: So today i want to discuss one of your greatest works «The Yellow Wallpaper»
B: Let’s go for it!
A: To begin with, there are lots of interpretations of this story, but what is yours?
B: Well it’s actually a very interesting question. There are two very important sides of this story. On the one hand, i wanted to explore the role of women at that time: The narrator’s insanity, is a way to portray a male-dominated society, where women were constantly opressed and were depict as fragile and weak.
A: That’s so interesting!
B: You know, women had almost no rights, and writing was seen as threat of creating a new identity so we were constantly being discouraged for writing.
A: So we can say that one side of the interpretation of this story is the historical background mostly connected to women’s rights. Which is the other?
B: Well it is kind of an autobiography. Actually the main idea of this story was to describe my own experience as a patient.
A: Which disease did you overcome?
B: Depression. I had suffered this illness for a few years so i consulted a very well known physician who prescribed me a rest cure. Little did i know what this actually meant. This required me to stay at home all day, by myself and I was forbidden to touch a pencil, pen, or anything where i could write on.
A: That’s so terrible to overcome!
B: Yes it was very difficult but after three months, i just couldn’t i thought i was going crazy, so i took a pen and wrote «The Yellow Wallpaper». I’m going to tell you something very personal, i never told anyone this…
A: So much preasure right now!
B: My intention with this story was to send it to my physician so that he could understand that his way of trying to overcome my deoression was wrong. So after u wrote it, i send it.
A: And what happened?!
B: Unfortunately, i never got a response.
A: Anything you want to tell to all those «The yellow wallpaper lovers»?
B: I just want to clear up something. I never wanted to drive anyone craxy, but to save people, and i’m very happy to share with you that it did. 16 years after «The yellow wallpaper» was sold, someone told me that my physician changed his methods and even open some hospitals. Just knowing that it helped at least one person, then it is worth it.
A: Thank you a million times for this amazing and honest interview!
B: It was my pleasure
Lately in our Biology class we studied the digestive system. Now we started discussing Cholera and Diarrhoea. We had to watch a video and then answer some questions.
1) Name signs/symptoms caused by cholera.
- Diharrea that looks like green water
- Sometimes high temperature (depends on the amount of bacteria)
2) State ways in which the bacterium spreads in the village.
The bacteria spread through the river, unwashed hands, women when they carry water to their houses and also flies carried them on their feet.
3) What is diarrhoea?
Diarrohoea is the loss of watery faeces and this is produced because water from the faeces is not absorbed.
4) How does the cholera bacterium cause diarrhoea?
Cholera is an infection caused by a bacteria. For this bacteria to cause diarrhoea it follows the next steps:
- Cholera bacteria are ingested and multiply
- The bacteria attach to the wall of the alimentary canal
- The bacteria releases a toxin
- The toxin causes Chloride ions to be released
- The release of ions causes water to move into the lumen by osmosis
- There is now a lot of water in the canal (watery diarrhoea). The blood contains too little chloride ions and water.
5) How did the boy treated his father?
He immediatly went for help and found a nurse. As soon as she saw his father, the nurse knew it was cholera so they made «a special drink».
- They made the water safe by pouring the infected water on another bucket with a towel on top so that bacteria didn’t pass. (Filtration)
- Then to make sure that there was no bacteria left, they boiled it for 1 minute (at a 100ºC bacteria are completely killed)
- Then, they mixed 1 liter of water with half a tea spoon of salt and 6 tea spoons of sugar (Reobtaining water levels and minerals)
- And finally he made his father drink it and started feeling a little bit stronger.
6) Name the different actions which the boy taught to the people in the village to prevent the disease.
- Washing their hands
- To mantain food away of flies
- To go to a hygienic toilet that is far of water
- To wash fruits and vegetables
- To make sure that when you cook water is boiled so that you are sure there is no bacteria